The Iron Dynasty, DeLaRose Role Play Group
Greetings and welcome, only go forth if you are over 18 years of age, if not please turn back now. if you are over the age of 18 feel free to view and register for the fourm. thank you so much for coming to see us if this is not your first time here please log in.
Welcome Everyone Feel Free to Register Post and Partake We Are friendly Please Fill out the Rules as Soon as You Join After Please Read and Sign the Policies You May Then Browse at Your Leisure If You Need any Help Please Contact Anaya the Admin or Any Moderators it is Our Job To Help You

You are not connected. Please login or register

The Iron Dynasty, DeLaRose Role Play Group » Trash Archives of Old Things » The Library, Information About Role Play » Need help? Question thread

Need help? Question thread

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Need help? Question thread on Wed Oct 26 2016, 19:49

Anaya

Admin
Admin

ATW9989
avpic
Need help? Question thread
June 08, 2016 03:49PM

This thread is for you to ask any questions pertaining to roleplay that you either don't know, or are unsure of and second guessing yourself about.
Any member can answer any questions and in fact the more that do the better. More opinions and view points can help settle on a set standard for things that there isn't one for.

Relonikiv
avpic
Re: Need help?
June 26, 2016 06:05PM

So...actually info have a bit of a question as I'm still editing and creating my characters abilities and there's a power that I want to give him but I don't want it to be over powered or considered godmoddy.
Basicly it involves the power to dominate anything that doesn't have intellegent free thoughts like plants animals rock's and such that his eyes are able to see and command it to his will. The catch is his eyes have to remain open and uncovered for the power to stay hold over the object of dominance. So of course the biggest weakness being blinding lights having his eyes shut or just being forced to close his eyes. Just something I want to play with do to my characters background and that it is the opposite of how he thinks in that he hates being a tyrant and bending others to his will. So just something I want to ask and play with.

UlricTyrson
avpic
June 26, 2016 11:57PM

I would say that the power itself wouldn't be too overpowered considering he would be using it for things that don't have open thought. For example, if he took control of a rock, what exactly could he do with it? If the power itself granted him complete control like say make the rock shoot up from the ground and launch itself at people, I would say that would be a tad overboard. However, limiting yourself to the limitations of what he is controlling would be a good balance. Instead of telling the rock to shoot out of the ground seeing as how rocks cannot move on their own, he could use them as sort of an information network. Anything that happens within the rocks vicinity say in the past week, your character could command the rock to "reveal its secrets" and anything that happened near that rock in the past week he would be able to see.

Another good limitation is for range. You wouldn't have to go far enough to say he has to keep eye contact with whatever he is controlling, other wise that would limit your character too much it would be crippling him. State the range of the power, like if you see a deer 50 yards away, would you be able to control it? Do you have to get closer? This would give your character some depth and challenge in stories. "I have to sneak passed the guards in order to take control of the weapons in the armory" kind of thing. That is also another thing to consider, does your power work through objects such as walls and doors?

How many objects would he be able to command at once? If he was very powerful, he could have access to essentially anything from wooden boxes, beer steins, farmers tools, books. The list goes on and on so take into consideration how many objects he can interact with, perhaps on a daily limit. This would give him another added challenge of "I have 3 uses of my power left, would now be a good time to use one?" and it would add some suspense. Also, are their limitations to the type of objects he can interact with? Only stone? Only wood? Does it change daily?

Finally, there is the thought of how long can he maintain this power without exhausting himself. You have already set the limitation of having your eyes open and anything that obstructs your vision would cancel it out, but what if that never happens? Does that mean he can control things indefinitely if the above conditions are met? Does the power drain him of stamina and energy like mana? Is it dangerous for him to use? Can he potentially go blind from using his eyes too much? What about the size of objects? The bigger the object, the more effort it takes to control and command. A book would not be as stressful as controlling an entire house or a mouse compared to a bear. Hopefully these are some things that will help you out or haven't thought of yet, if done just right this character would make an excellent scout or infiltrator with this ability.

Good Luck to you

Relonikiv
avpic
June 27, 2016 03:13AM

Brilliant and many thanks. This gives me some more to think about. And I had thought of using his power to some degree that is like what you mentioned about the rock's but for combat I was thinking he would be able to with the help of some other minor magic he would know be able to command to say for example make a plant grow that is within his range and use it to attack. Like making a trees branch's come alive and hit a soldier upside the head or cause a small candle flame to burn more oxygen and become a larger flame or even to eat all the oxygen in someone's vicinity causing shortness of breath. something to those effects not very effective perhaps in most situations but viable I think. I have a lot of processing to be done as he's only about 70% done I'm still needing to figure out his powers. Sure i could go traditional dragon with the power to shapeshift and that's basic for most dragons along with fire breathing and such. Its mostly his unique powers and abilities I'm now having to work on and this struck me as unique and easily relateable to his series of personality quirks

UlricTyrson
avpic
June 27, 2016 03:42AM

Hmm, if that is the case, it sounds like he doesnt just command the objects to do his bidding, but enhances what they already do. Merely telling a plant to grow larger and faster beyond its natural limits gives off the feeling that your opening the gates of those limits through authority. Like for example, you could be standing at the top of a hill and command a rock to roll and by doing that it rolls down the hill and causes a rock slide. You did not cause the slide nor did you command the hillside to do so, but a chain reaction from your authority. It almost sounds like your commands can alter reality in a way or influence luck or chance on a minimal level or even jinxing your opponents during fights. You could command their weapon to chip and break on the next hit as a result, or command a dead tree to fall over onto a road. Freak accidents that look like just that, accidents but are in fact your command over objects.

That is what I would see as a way of keeping your power from reaching too great of heights. Like if you looked at a flower and commanded it to become a tree, that would imply that you have reality shaping powers that are essentially limitless, or commanding a pile of rocks to shape into a golem and attack your foes. The hardest part of defining your ability is its limitations and where you want them. Instead of commanding the flame of a candle to simply "burn more air" you could cause a chain reaction. Command a book to fall from a shelf, blowing air towards the candle and as a result the flame bursts. This would not only keep people on their toes as to what your powers exactly are but how they work and would make you harder to combat. If people thought you could make anything do anything then no one would dare challenge you because how would they win?

Relonikiv
avpic
June 27, 2016 04:26AM

That sounds about right what I'm trying to piece together. Dominating and unlocking the potential within an object but also keeping it limited to certain aspects. I mean I could see an aspect where it would go out of control for progression of story and character I don't want it to grand standing that it could eventually be considered godmodding as my character is to goodnatured to really use his abilities for anything malicious and I have played the field closest to godmodding that even though I enjoy having powerful abilities in my characters this time I'm looking more for potential growth in said character. I've never practiced with chain reactions so this would be new to me to experiment with.

Anaya
avpic Hardcore GamerThe Iron Rose, DeLaRoseIron DynastyAutum Aliance Badge 1Autum Alliance Badge 2No F*cks Given
June 27, 2016 09:26AM

This is a wonderful question to ask, and a very in-depth one, i agree with Ulric and i do believe he has handled this well -sits and watches with popcorn-

UlricTyrson
avpic
June 27, 2016 01:53PM

Ever get that feeling your being evaluated? Haha, well sounds like points for me if that's the case

Anyway, yeah if your comfortable with it that's my take on how you could develop your character within your sense of fair. The only other thing I would consider is what I said before if your still not sure if its too powerful or not add another "price for power" feature like if you have to use energy and exhaust yourself or if you can only use it so many times a day. This way you have something to factor into the RP to make it more tense and suspenseful. If you were able to rely on the power whenever you needed, you would essentially never be caught in a bad situation since you pretty much have command over anything around you, unless they like lock you in a cage made of living humans but that is a discussion for another time.

A good RP plays out like a good book and without twists and conflict or risk of danger things always get boring and stale. What will the hero do when his weapon is knocked from his hand, or what will the mage do when her magic powers are taken from her. Its how we use what we have that helps us think, "Okay, here are the tools I have, this is the situation, how can I use these to get out of this" That's how I see everything, like a big puzzle and puzzles are not fun if they flat out solve it for you right from the box. So by adding these limitations and playing around with the character in sessions, your character will learn their limits and how to maximize their potential to its fullest with the skills and tools they are given. So far id say this character has a crap ton of potential without overdoing it so have fun with it and see what you come up with.

Anaya
avpic Hardcore GamerThe Iron Rose, DeLaRoseIron DynastyAutum Aliance Badge 1Autum Alliance Badge 2No F*cks Given
June 27, 2016 09:46PM

Quote: Ever get that feeling you're being evaluated? Haha, well sounds like points for me if that's the case

^----- maaaaaybe you are, but i am saying NOTHING -Evil Game Master Grin-

View user profile https://www.delaroseroleplay.com

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum